Saturday, December 5, 2009

Poem Lost in the Edits: Poetry Saturday

As a warrior poet I remembered what had been forgotten.
AMARON'S LAMENT
The fallen people, how the dream turned round.
And the song ran hard and into the ground.
This saga of those mighty lost souls.
They whose Empire is dust, cold have gone the coals.
Trodden under the foot of revenge and justice. Mercy where art thou?

Sword in hand, darkness sings, on Cumorah’s land.
Black hearts and the Hand of God, kills the King that would stop his work, sing!
Faith trumps doubt but it doesn’t mean truth won’t bring the pain.
Run cold and hold that inside, words of honor are sound.
Remember, when the torches fade and cannot be found.
Within the hearts that are true, the Lights remain.

6 comments:

Mary Gray said...

This is my favorite so far. I love the pic you put to accompany it. Well, when you meet the Nephites, I think they will be stoked to meet someone who, though born years and years after their death, actually gets them. Love this poem.

nephite blood spartan heart said...

Thanks Mary.

This was something I really liked but was cut from the prologue. Oh well.

Charles Gramlich said...

Very fine. I like this one a lot. Captures a sense of legend.

nephite blood spartan heart said...

Thanks Charles-thats what I was going for-unfortunetly my editor thought it slowed down the prologue so it was scrapped.

I appreciate the comment.

Erin West said...

Well, if movie directors can get away with making extended versions of their films (LOTR) some time after the other films come out, you could do something like, "Heros of the Fallen: Uncut"...except with maybe a better title.

I agree with Charles on the sense of legend. Poetry in books, especially like this one, help envelope you in the age, almost as if you were standing next to the person citing it, feeling what they were going through.

Samuel is getting to know the character names by the way. Everytime I'm drawing he's like, "Is that Amaron?" except more like..."Is that Hammeron?"

Voidwalker said...

I must have missed when you posted this. I just saw it. Very cool. I'm a big sci-fi/fantasy fan and poetry about it is especially interesting to me. Very cool!