Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Faux Interview and Questionaire Tag


I was tagged with these questions by a fellow writer Voidwalker and I'm supposed to tag 2 more people with this and I'll go ahead and up that to 3 Karen, Tamara, and Mary.

1. What's the last thing you wrote? What's the first thing you wrote that you still have?
Last thing I wrote and finished-The Hand of Fate, a fantasy short story-10,900 words for a hopeful inclusion in a action-oriented fantasy anthology. First thing I wrote that I still have? Probably some rough fantasy stories from when I was 9 or 10.

2. Write poetry?
Yep, see earlier posts. But I have written them for years upon years.

3. Angsty poetry?
Yeah, if I'm upset. I may post RUST for the next poetry Saturday.

4. Favorite genre of writing?
Anything I can reasonably have people using swords in.

5. Most annoying character you've ever created?
Gotta think on this for awhile. Ezra, the reformed Gadianton Robber in Heroes of the Fallen might be, but he does work toward redeeming himself.

6. Best Plot you've ever created?
Thus far, probably what begins in Heroes of the Fallen but is fulfilled in Blood of Our Fathers.

7. Coolest Plot twist you've ever created?
Probably events in Blood of Our Fathers, that will just have to wait for 2011.

8. How often do you get writer's block?
I don't really get writers block-too many stories pouring out of my head to even get them all done-BUT-I do get into bouts of laziness and not feeling motivation to write what is there.

9. Write fan fiction?
I did when I was a kid, a lot of G.I.Joe and Transformers stories

10. Do you type or write by hand?
Always wrote by hand as a kid-my typewriter and then computer were too slow-and even then lots of unpublishable stuff by hand in coffee shops. Heroes and Blood were both almost entirely written by hand and then transferred to the PC. Bless the Child was also first written by hand, but I began Dance the Ghost with Me on the PC. All new scenes and rewrites for Heroes were not handwritten.

11. Do you save everything you write?
Everything, more times than I need too.

12. Do you ever go back to an idea after you've abandoned it?
All the time. I keep a notebook full of ideas to save for later-things work later all the time.

13. What's your favorite thing you've ever written?
Scenes that flow naturally are my favorites in the moment-don't know what one scene I could even say.

14. What's everyone else's favorite story that you've written?
Dance the Ghost with Me is what I am still having requests to hurry up and finish/publish.

15. Ever written romance or angsty teen drama?
No.

16. What's your favorite setting for your characters?
Anywhere they can swing a sword.

17. How many writing projects are you working on right now?
1. Bless the Child-novel 2. rewrites Blood of Our Fathers 3. Name of the Game-short story 4 and 5 more short stories.

18. Have you ever won an award for your writing?
First Prize-general fiction category at the LDStorymakers first chapter writing contest for Dance the Ghost with Me
First place in elementary school for Howl and Hunt.

19. What are your five favorite words?
Judging by what had to be edited for excessive use in Heroes of the Fallen Great, Dark, Black, Savage, and Serpentine

20. What character have you created that is most like yourself?
I use aspects or pieces of myself for various characters-usually taking into consideration age and environment and such blending it with life experience, and imagination.

21. Where do you get ideas for your characters?
Its a mix, imagination, people I have known or would like to know. Things I overhear and people I know I overheard incorrectly but still sounds interesting.

22. Do you ever write based on your dreams?
A little. I do keep a journal of my dreams/nightmares for possible stories in the future.

23. Do you favor happy endings?
No. It just has to be real-even if its fantasy.

24. Are you concerned with spelling and grammar as you write?
I am decent with spelling but my proper grammar has always been a struggle.

25. Does music help you write?
Yes, I love having music that acts as an augmentation for the mood of what I am doing.

26. Quote something you've written. Whatever pops into your head.
Here is a snippet from Dance the Ghost with Me a weird western.

He rode down into a steep rock strewn vale, looking for an overhang to shelter under. The pale horse stopped. It did not want to go any farther into the gloom. It was getting dark but Port could still see and smell well enough. There was no bear or cat here. Nothing but the thin aspens and limp pines and a few burnt stumps. Nowhere for anything to hide, yet he could not shake the feeling of being watched. He knew what it felt like to have living eyes stare; these were not those. These glared full of hate, jealousy and avarice. They were there all right, spirits thick as honey.

His skin crawled like spiders swarming over raw flesh. Port felt as if he was about to be engulfed by an invisible ocean, drowned in abysmal malice. He instinctively caressed the Bowie that Brigham had blessed. The tide was at bay just beyond reach, foaming its invisible silent jaws.

9 comments:

Kate said...

Serpentine? I find it fascinating that you could overuse this word.

Voidwalker said...

Awesome stuff. I like your answer about favorite settings being anywhere your characters can swing a sword. I laughed out loud on that one.

Charles Gramlich said...

I agree with Voidwalker on the swinging a sword comment. Good excerpt as well.

Tamara Hart Heiner said...

You won an award on my blog today.

nephite blood spartan heart said...

Kate
I'm joking-but I did have to cut back on those particular adjectives because my rough had the first 4 so much. Serpentine-and anything snakey got dropped for the most part.

Thanks for the oppurtunity Voidwalker.

Glad you liked that Charles-that will be my new big project to finish come 2010.

Thanks Tamara-I don't know that I will put it on the blog but I do appreciate the sentiment.

Th. said...

.

Oh you crazy writers and your egocentric posts.

nephite blood spartan heart said...

This was so Id.

Karen Jones Gowen said...

Thanks for tagging me, David, I think? I have two author interviews to post, authors who are way more interesting than me, so I think I won't interview myself. But I appreciate the attention :)

Voidwalker said...

You've been awarded over at my blog. Come by and see when you get a sec. :)

Don't feel obligated to put it on the blog. If it clashes with all the swashbuckling, I won't be offended if you don't put it up lol